Friday, May 23, 2014

Dear 24-Year-Old Samaa,

Hello, 'tis I, from the past. I am here to put things in perspective for you with my teenage, know-it-all attitude. Listen to my words of carefree advice:
  1. I don't know what this "#YOLO" business is, but I hear it's all the rage in the future. It sounds hella annoying, but use it as a philosophy, not to ignore responsibility, per se, but to grab each moment by the horns and realize that once it's gone, you will never get it back. I would know, I'm from the past.
  2. Speaking of which, don't let anything from your past keep you from your future. I had to build a damn time machine just to talk to you, but once I get back to 2006, I will really be nothing more than a figment of your imagination, which you future people call "memories." A memory does not have the power to harm you today and it certainly cannot predict what's going to happen to you tomorrow or the next day. So learn to let go.
  3. I have yet to experience a romantic relationship of any kind, so I really do believe in all my wide-eyed naivety that a fairytale romance is possible. You should believe the same even though you have experienced heartbreak. I can see you are scared of getting hurt again, but take it from me, it's a lot more exciting when you love each guy like he's the first and will be the last.
  4. I have severe self-esteem issues, but you, my friend, are lovely. Don't underestimate yourself. I'm glad you are what I grow into :).
  5. I drive my parents crazy, but I also give them plenty of hugs, so cut me some slack. I also openly express my love for them to the point of being a nuisance. Please continue this tradition.
  6. I'm too young to worry about the future! And so are you, for that matter. In fact, the age at which you should start worrying is: never. You can definitely dream of a better future, but worrying is totally futile, if you ask me. I have more important things to focus on - like this boring calculus homework, kill me!!
  7. I don't brush my hair because I would rather have the extra ten minutes of sleep. I really don't care what people think of me, and as long as I am clean and don't smell, what does my HAIR have to do with how I am as a student, friend, daughter, etc.? (Yes, I do believe you just got owned by your past self.)
That is all. See you in eight years.

Love,
16-Year-Old Samaa

No comments:

Post a Comment