Friday, February 28, 2014

Somebody Give Me a Prize

First off, I would like to thank my readers for encouraging me to blog regularly.

When I was a child, I used to lose my marbles when someone took credit for work that I did. I had to make sure that my accomplishments were trademarked in giant capital letters: "SAMAA ALI THOUGHT OF THIS." In elementary school, when teachers would pose questions to the class, I would often know the answer and whisper it under my breath to myself (my shyness prevented me from actually putting my hand up). Sometimes, a classmate would overhear my musings and claim "my" answer for him-/herself, subsequently gaining the teacher's stamp of approval. Man, if there ever was a trigger for my transformation into a psychotic rage machine, that was it. How dare my classmate steal my answer! It made me want to take a mallet to that poor, innocent soul's face.

I still struggle with the need for ownership to this day. I have to sit my attention-seeking butt down and tell myself that one day I will die, and all the recognition I cling to will mean absolutely nothing. What's more important is that I learn to share my ideas so that others can help me bring them to life. I have to trust that my contributions will better the world and the benefits will affect everyone including myself. Maybe instead of hoarding what's in my mind like a darn scrooge, I can let it all out knowing I will receive what I give, that prosperity is available to all who act in abundance.

So, if you ever witness me being a selfish brat, you have my permission to tell me to shove my ego up my butt. It's for my own good, you know.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment