Friday, March 30, 2012

Earth Hour 2012

Hello Inhabitants of the Earth,

Watch this video and be inspired. This is not a question, it is an order:


Seriously, our planet is totally worth fighting for. This year, I have really been bothered by how much waste the fast food industry produces without blinking an eye (fluttering an eyelash? Batting an eyeball? Okay, I'mma stop now). I'm not allowed to bash where I work on a public forum such as the Internet (I signed a form!), which I understand, but I am going to, anyway. Lawsuit, here I come!

I work at a certain coffee shop, and the values they have for the environment are non-existent if not flagrantly disgusting. Seriously, everything we serve coffee and/or food in is made of what once used to be a tree and everything is so horribly disposable, it literally makes my stomach turn when I see how our garbage overflows within the span of an hour. Since this franchise seems to have permeated every street corner, you'd be hard-pressed to find a patch of land which does not have at least one branded coffee cup lying on the ground, not decomposing in the least and most likely leaching some nasty chemical/dye into the earth below.
I don't have a problem with the company's success, but I do have a problem that they don't give a crap about the trash they leave behind in our communities and all the resources they waste ALL the time. The public is not holding them accountable for their idiocy and I think we should since they literally feed our families (don't even get me started on how unhealthy their products are). If you're a Canadian, you probably know which coffee shop I speak of and next time you swing by one, check out their garbage bins, which are separated into compartments for recyclables. I can tell you right now all those recyclables just go into the trash.

I'm actually disturbed that I work for a company that has no respect for the Earth and yeah, I'm a starving student who needs the pocket money, but I'm the type of person that wants to work for a company with values that I can stand by myself. So I think I shall boycott them this year :D. (Yes, I'm also conveniently planning on resigning soon, but it would be unfair to say it's solely for the cause, I also have other reasons.)

Well, that rant turned out to be longer than I intended. But! I hope it got the gears turning in your head. The fast food industry is a huge (if not the biggest) player in our economy, and I don't think they should be abolished or anything (well, they should, but it would have major consequences). However, not only do they enable unhealthy eating (obesity is becoming a big, fat problem... word play intended) but they produce SO much waste... it's hard to think that we so readily give them our hard-earned money.

Okay, I'm done. Please participate in Earth Hour! You can make a difference!

Signed,
Tree Hugger Extraordinaire

No comments:

Post a Comment