Saturday, January 22, 2011

Grim Reaper Talk

Disclaimer: This post is of a sensitive nature, so I apologize in advance if I hit a wrong nerve or cause emotional upheaval. It is also quite descriptive, so if you're squeamish, proceed with caution!
In other news, I incorrectly pressed some buttons while typing the sentence above and now know how to make this symbol: ∫. YAY. Okay, ahem. Back to solemnity.

I remember an experience that happened earlier this summer and I wanted to share it with y'all (howdy!) and get your opinion.

But first some background. In Grade 10, I took World Religions and as eccentric as my teacher was, I thoroughly enjoyed what she taught and learning about different belief systems humbled and inspired me. I remember learning that in Zoroastrianism, the deceased are placed in an ornamental tower and left to be consumed by wildlife (vultures, mostly? Correct me if I'm wrong!). The thought behind this is that the body is now a source of life for other creatures, providing nutrients and contributing to the ecosystem.
I learned last year that tribes in Papua New Guinea eat the deceased as a sign of respect - by consuming the dead (to put it crudely), they now become a part of the living, breathing tribe.

Alright. That's what you need to know.

Earlier this summer, I went to lunch with some friends, and told them about the Zoroastrian ritual as we ate (I know, I'm a morbid person to be with). And, unexpected to me, they recoiled in disgust. Not because the visual was unappealing, but because they thought it was a terrible and barbaric thing to do. Profanity was used.

Okay, when I learned about the topic, I was not at all disgusted or appalled. We, as humans, do not have the right to label something that is deeply spiritual and sacred to others as disdainful.
I mean, we generally put our deceased in the ground to eventually be eaten by maggots and call it a burial. Cremation could be considered the process of lighting the expired on fire and turning them into a pot of dust.
I know I'm being harsh with my words, but that's the same attitude that was used in judging the Zoroastrian funeral rite. And it's rude!

Whatever method we use, it is very meaningful to us and no one should say it is f***ed or messed up. It actually raised my hackles that day!

That is simply my opinion. Thank you for hearing me out, I know this was a long post. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment